Tuesday, July 19, 2011

WWJD?




I think I might have had a bracelet, back in the day, with WWJD? on it. Or maybe I just bought some for my kids. Either way, we all know what those four letters mean.

What would Jesus do?

For a while it seemed, every single action was rejoined with those letters. You were forced to think about how you'd feel if Jesus walked in while you were doing whatever it was. I think it got out of hand and the fad of it has largely died away. But as a barometer for my actions, I think it still rocks. Mostly. I would not want Jesus to walk in while I was on the toilet, but I don't see anything wrong with answering my body's needs that way. The same as intimate relations with my significant other. I don't want anyone walking in, even Jesus. But I digress...

Here's where it rocks: how do I act in a given situation?

That situation could be just about anything. It could be work related. It could be in a relationship. Usually it's something about my character. Sometimes it's interchangeable with the 10 Commandments.

Here lately, I find myself asking WWJD? in regards to voting and how do I view the current economic problems facing our country. How do I view charity from the church vs. social programs from the government. For me, all those things have a WWJD? in them.

Since I have not been living under a rock for the past couple of weeks, I have watched the reactions to the Casey Anthony verdict. Well, "watched" might be a little strong. I've tried to avoid it like the plague. But this caught my eye.

What would Jesus do?

Check out the links the author included. The one verse I had hoped to see was not linked. Probably the only one that should have been linked if one wants a Christian response would be Ephesians 4:32.

I am actually very thankful that God, in Christ, has forgiven me. I have no room to point fingers because the same punishment awaits people like me as awaits people like her without the intervention of the saving grace of a Sovereign God.

So - no injunction in Scripture exists to excoriate Casey Anthony. None suggest we threaten her or stalk her or make it so she can't live the life God gave her. So what is the real Christ-like response?

No comments:

Post a Comment